Thursday, June 22, 2017

Long-overdue update - 6,000 miles

I haven't posted in a while because, frankly, the V60 has been steadily doing its thing with hardly an issue. It's been an enjoyable, relaxing car. I can't really think of any new quirks or issues that have come up, but I figured it's time to share my thoughts now that the "honeymoon" phase of new car ownership is over.

Comfort remains exceptional. Road noise is reasonable, although I wish it was a little quieter overall (it's certainly nothing objectionable). The seats are likely some of the best in the business. A family member recently bought a 2018 BMW 530e and the standard thrones in that car are far less comfortable than the lowly Volvo's chairs. I haven't taken it for incredibly long drives, but it's a perfect companion for 4+ hour stints behind the wheel.

Fuel economy has been surprisingly strong, to the point where I don't think the 2.0L is worthwhile given its penchant for premium gasoline which is nearly 20% more expensive in these parts. It's warm now, so I had expected an uptick in mileage. Overall I'm averaging around 25 mpg with my best tank at 26.6 mpg. Volvo's estimate of 29 mpg on the highway is probably only achievable at 60-65 mph - I've never come close.

I installed the Curt model 12066 1.25" trailer hitch for mounting a bike carrier. Overall installation was quite easy but more involved than simply bolting the thing on. The rear bumper cover and bumper bar has to be removed, and the process takes two people and about 2-3 hours of time. My only extremely minor complaint is that the hitch mounts behind the bumper bar, and this causes the bar to be just slightly more protuberant. The bar pushes out against the bumper cover because the clearances are quite tight. This means that I needed to manhandle, stretch, and cajole the cover to snap back into place. There is a very minor change in how the cover fits, leading to a slightly uneven panel gap. It's no big deal for me, but YMMV. Volvo needs to come out with a first party solution for this, but they would probably charge an insane amount of money for it. My local dealer quoted ~$300 for a V60CC part, and 2-3 hours of labor at $100/hr. Ouch!





Since the weather is so nice, I've been taking the Miata on more road trips, including one long, lovely journey up to Quebec City with a stay at the famous Chateau Frontenac. I missed the comfort of the Volvo but the weather was too good not to drive top-down. Among other creature comforts, the Miata doesn't have cruise control, which is something you completely take for granted until you have to drive without it.



I did take the Volvo to Montreal a few weeks ago for the Grand Prix and enjoyed the drive immensely. It's just a fantastic car to soak up a few hundred miles and arrive at the other end feeling fresh. The V60 is a good city car as well, with a reasonable turning radius, well weighted electro-hydraulic steering, and excellent visibility. Parallel parking is super easy with the rear view camera and the ability to flip down the passenger side mirror by holding the "R" mirror button. My favorite driver Valtteri Bottas did a fine job, coming in second place behind the legend Lewis Hamilton.









So those are my thoughts at 6,000 miles. The V60 is an old car, to be sure. Its platform dates back to the early 2010s but it remains a fantastic choice for a daily driver and road trip car. The 2.5 L engine sounds good and delivers solid gas mileage on (this is important!) 87 octane gasoline. The seats are wonderful and the entire car delivers a sense of old-school solidity that makes it very, very satisfying to drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment