Friday, February 3, 2017

Tank One MPG

I filled up for the first time yesterday, and the hand-calculated MPG was 21.5. This was almost 50/50 city/highway - 150 mile trip home after buying the car, nearly all local afterwards. The computer was reading 23.4 and EPA rating is 23. Overall it's not an impressive figure. I drove a lot of short distance trips in below-freezing weather this week, so we'll see if the numbers improve.

I filled up the car with 87 octane. The manual recommends 87 at a minimum, but states that higher octane fuel may improve performance. Pretty vague, if you ask me.

I'll run the next 5 tanks on 87, do a single tank "washout period" using 93, and then run 5 tanks on 93 to see if there's a difference. Of course, my driving conditions might vary so this isn't the perfect experiment. When I start my new job in July I'll have much better controlled conditions for a fuel economy test, because I'll be doing 106 miles per day in nearly pure highway driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment