Wednesday, February 1, 2017

The wheel is good

For me, a good steering wheel adds a huge amount to the overall driving experience. My Honda Fit was a pretty basic car, but had a leather-wrapped wheel that could have easily been in an Acura. The Focus ST had a decent leather wheel as well, though less supple than the Honda.

One of the first things that I noticed when I sat in the Volvo was the steering wheel. It's fantastic. The thickness and leather is perfect. There are funny protuberances at the 4 and 8 o'clock positions. The 2 and 10 o'clock bulges are... incredibly bulgy. It's a great wheel.


Note: my car did not come with the Climate Package that includes the heated wheel, a true first world problem.

Stray observation: Notice how the LCD gauge cluster only lights up the MPH indicator near the virtual needle? It's an odd design decision by Volvo. When I got into the car the other day, it was 15 F and I figured the LCD was malfunctioning in the cold. Only later did I realize it's a conscious decision, maybe to mimic the effect of a lighted needle in an analog cluster.

3 comments:

  1. Owning the Full Climate Pkg in my V60 R-Design, I can tell you that I will not own another car without the heated steering wheel, haha! I'm almost disappointed when I get in my wife's XC60 that doesn't have it; I let it slide since she has nice Sport seats that my R-Design has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The instrument cluster actually has 3 separate "modes". Sport mode (with a red background), "Elegance" and "Eco". If the appearance of the speedometer cluster bugs, you, then try the others. You can toggle the mode by first pressing the button at the end of the left-hand stalk, and then finding the right thing in the menu that this brings up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I did know that but I tend to prefer the Elegant mode! I don't really understand the purpose of the Eco mode, and the Sport mode looks cool but the digital speedo is a little distracting for me :-)

      Delete