Thursday, February 9, 2017

Wipers don't lift up easily

We're getting a big snowstorm today in New England and typically people around here lift up their wipers when they park, to prevent snow from accumulating on the blades and freezing. I tried to do this and... I can't! The driver side wiper impacts the rear edge of the hood and doesn't raise up. The passenger side lifts up completely, but rests against the edge of the hood. Maybe Swedes don't lift up their wipers. Or maybe it's a silly design mistake. I think it's a silly design mistake. I would have expected better from a company based in snowy Scandinavia.


[Addendum] Thanks to commenter Jonathan, I've discovered the magic "service mode"!  I tried this feature and, in fact, it works like a charm. It lets you completely lift up the wipers.


2 comments:

  1. Page 355 in your owners manual tells you how to put it in service mode:

    1. Insert the remote key into the ignition slot1 and press the START/STOPENGINE button briefly to put the ignition in mode I (see page 89 for detailed information about the ignition modes).
    2. Press the START/STOP ENGINE button again briefly to switch the ignition off.
    3. Within 3 seconds, move the right steering wheel lever up and hold it for at least1 second.> The wipers will then move to the vertical(service) position on the windshield.
    *The wipers can be returned to the normal position by pressing the START/STOPENGINE button briefly to put the ignition in mode I (or by starting the engine).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just tried this, and you're absolutely right! Props to Volvo for adding this feature, although it's pretty confusing to find.

      Delete